Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Smile Avgas 100 LL - used it years ago in another car

Greetings,

This is somewhat off the topic, but does involve the use of higher octane fuels. So, many years ago when I was a starving college student I worked at an airport in Marin County, CA. - I drove around all day with a huge tanker truck and provided fill-ups to planes arriving or departing from the airport, plus the FBO (fixed base operation) had a flight school so I was always filling planes with gas for those planes as well,it was a great job, so much fun - got paid hardly anything, but the perks were good. On my days off I got to fly with pilots on 'check-runs'. We would load up huge bags of checks that had been processed and needed to be returned to the banks (they did this before technology made this process obsolete) - and, and....I got to fill my 1976 VW Rabbit with 100 octane LL (low-lead) Avgas. I had to pay for it and back then circa 1985 it was about $2+ for 100 LL Avgas. Keep in mind my Rabbit had an old-school carburetor engine - in 1977 the VW Rabbits went to FI. Well, the little bugger wasn't faster per se, but it ran super smooth and was more 'peppy'-

Interesting sidebar - on some weekends there was a guy that would bring his offshore cigarette racing boat and fill it with the Avgas 100 LL. He have to call ahead and be certain we had enough gas on hand to fill the boat - I think it took something like 400+ gallons. My manger would get pissed because although he purchased a lot of gas, if he came out early on a Saturday he could potentially buy all the gas allotted for the weekend and we would not get the re-fill tanker from the fuel distributor until Monday AM.

Here in Oregon - the best I can do is 92 or 91 at Chevron - although I am intrigued if perhaps Shell has the 93 Super V err, whatever it was called around here in Porkland (deliberate spelling, people are so fat here - I grew up in SoCal) - sorry, that's not very nice to say, but it seems like people here don't know how to eat properly or know about exercise

Cheers,
Merlin
Appreciate 0