View Single Post
      11-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #494
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Your posts are giving me a headache, are you saying that those tires are not the OEM tires, because they are. Nissan can choose to change OEM tires, just as easily as they chose to up the HP on the GT-R.

You are getting off track here, no pun intended but really my comparison to the GT2 was about exclusivity and a car being rare.

I've yet to see a compelling argument proving that the GT-R is exclusive or rare.

Oh and, does anyone else find it annoying that as soon as you find a car faster than a GT-R, people respond with 2012 GT-R, I bet in 2012, they will be saying 2014 GT-R Until the GT-R posts up a faster time at the N-ring, you can't say that it is faster than say an LFA or a GT2 both cars are very exclusive and very rare.
No, the argument is not about OEM tires, it's about what kind of tires are put on a car. Nissan puts street tires on their car, as it is designed to be driven everyday if people want to. The GT2 RS's tires are not daily driver tires. I can create a car, put on some slicks and those are OEM too, but have nothing in common with the tires that come on say a Toyota Camry which have OEM tires.

As I mentioned before, $100K for a weekend toy car is very unattainable for the vast majority of people in the world. And so it is "expensive". People can afford a Toyota Corolla, not everyone can afford a GT-R. The average US HOUSEHOLD income is about $60K a year, not $300K.

The argument is that a car doesn't have to be exclusive to be a supercar. A supercar is different than being a exotic car, a collector's item or being a hypercar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar

Quote:
Supercar is a term used most often to describe an expensive high end car. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car". Stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match", "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".

However, the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. So-called vehicles are typically out of the ordinary and are marketed by automakers to be perceived by the public as unusual. The supercar can take many forms including limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard looking cars made by mainstream companies that hide massive power and performance, as well as models that appeal to "hardcore enthusiasts" from "manufacturers on the fringe of the car industry".
Appreciate 0