View Single Post
      08-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #947
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Thanks OP for the DIY. Replaced my bank 1 TA over the last couple of days after randomly getting 2B21 and 2B57 codes a couple of weeks ago. Car was running fine, but it has 66.7K miles on it and the bank 2 TA was replaced by my local dealer 3 years ago at 56K miles under the 7/70 Calif emissions warranty, so I figured it was about time for the other one. I went with a rebuilt unit from MPower Motorsports.

I went ahead and replaced the fuel breather valve while I was in there as preventative maintenance. I would have finished the work on Sunday, but I cracked off part of the rear fuel breather valve tube inside the fuel breather pipe and, though I was able to remove it, I damaged the pipe's quick release collar (which was super brittle anyway) so decided to get a new pipe yesterday. After I got the fuel breather valve sorted, I cleaned the throttle bodies a bit with some carb cleaner, sprayed some silicone dry lube on the operating shaft (actuator rod) pivot points, and got everything buttoned back up. Started right up with no codes, and she's running like a champ!

Overall not a difficult job, just a bit tedious with the throttle body clamps and the brittle connectors making my fingertips sore. The extensions, swivel socket and 6mm socket definitely helped with the clamps.

Hopefully good now for another 60-70k.

EDIT: Here's the condition of my TA after 66.7k miles. Gears obviously have a bit of wear as you can see from the shavings, but they weren't completely gone yet. Wonder how long I really had until limp mode.
Attached Images

Last edited by PACarGuy; 08-28-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50