07-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #60
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Thanks for the info - I wonder how much weight is added (i.e. what size water tank does it use?)...

Air-to-water is OK for street use, but from what I've seen tends to be an issue for track use (unless you have plenty of ice and a few pit stops)...
That depends on the volume (total capacity) of coolant used in the overall water-to-air heat exchanger system, the effective surface area and efficiency of the heat exchanger core itself, and the amount of heat generated by the supercharger setup.

Whether you heak soak or not, comes down to how much power you are trying to get out of the motor. The higher up the horsepower ladder you go...the more heat you will generate. If you are pushing your supercharged car to the limit for a long period of time, there is virtually no way to fend off heat soak without resorting to an "ice box" reservoir to keep the IAT temps down. The only way around this, is too over-engineer your coolant capacity and heat exchanger core's ability to reject heat faster than it's being generated. Otherwise...your toast.

If the system is property designed and built, you can use a supercharged car at the track without issue.

But of course, that is easier said than done in most cases...