05-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #35
vdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 M3, E46 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Slightly off topic, but I was looking at a Lime Rock M3 at MAG here in Columbus OH and the CF splitters on the front had bad fitment. Just seems like that's the nature of CF regardless of how much you spend.
+1. I've experimented quite a bit with CF on my E46 M3 (ebay CSL kit), E90 335 (knock off MTech Splitters) and E90 M3 (OEM splitters, OEM spoiler, Vorsteiner Diffuser). It seems like the "hand crafted" production process makes it almost impossible to create perfect fitting parts. The guys at Steve Thomas BMW (who BTW lived up to their rep of excellent customer service) exchanged my OEM E90 splitters 4x for fitment issues before I accepted that there was a factory flaw (left and right splitters have slightly different shapes that affect lower bumper/wheel arch alignment). The fitment problem affected every car I saw with OEM splitters (bimmerfest/mfest/misc meets/friends/dealer showrooms etc).

Fitment of my Vorsteiner diffuser was about 95%+ perfect or IMO equal to my OEM pieces. The key differentiator I've found through my "experimentation" is weave quality; based on this, my Vorsteiner and OEM pieces were also on par (ebay and knock offs were significantly lower quality). It's unfortunate that the OP had a bad experience with Vorsteiner. I dealt with Peter, thought that he and his staff provided excellent customer service and highly recommend Vorsteiner. Unfortunately, I think it's rare to find perfect fitting CF parts unless they are OEM factory produced/installed (even dealer supplied OEM CF accessory parts have flaws)

Last edited by vdude; 05-04-2013 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0