View Single Post
      04-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #29
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Not happening. Since you mention daily driving, I absolutely hate pressing down on the brake pedal against the car trying to lurch out (AT) vs. DCT which does not engage clutch before throttle is tapped. DCT is the only "automated" transmission I have and everything else is manual in my garage.
And I hate slushbox engaging so slow in between gears, I always have to wait for them vs. DCT that is seamlessly instant. For track use, there is no comparison.

Regarding xHP flash, whatever you do to replicate "hard shifts" with ZF they are just slower than DCT and jerkier.
ZF8 fast shifts at 3/3 (<->F80 DCT at 1/3) with jerky shifts
DCT fast shifts = seamless and engaging(double clutch inertia shove in the back) when you want it
ZF8 slow shifts = cancer inducing
DCT slow shifts = feel the clutches disengaging like a manual
OK, makes sense. Then simply keep your F80 DCT (as I will my E93 DCT), and simply skip this generation of M cars, unless you get the manual for the experience over maximum track times. We don't all have to love every iteration of M car.

I do find it interesting that you "hate pressing down on the brake pedal against the car trying to lurch out (AT) vs. DCT which does not engage clutch before throttle is tapped". I absolutely LOVE this aspect of the DCT too (I thought it was just me). It's such a simple pleasure at a traffic light, the feeling of the clutch disengaged and the car holds without the brake pedal. And like you, when I get the G82, I will truly miss this....even though putting the car in neutral at a light nets the same results, but it's not the same experience since you actually have to "re-engage" D-mode to move the car forward.

The ZF8 is going to be the largest downside to the G8X for many of us, and we'll see if I myself can get fully used to it. I think I will, because the rest of the car seems to be bloody brilliant in terms of feel, crispness and agility...for its size and luxury trappings.

Since I'm keeping my E93, I think I can, because I can always jump in my rev-happy V8 and get the DCT experience I seek.

But rest assured, at some lights, I'll be throwing my G82 in neutral, just because....
Appreciate 0