kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

But the smoothness of the ZF is enticing as well in daily driving, and the ZF8 downshifts just as quickly in its most aggressive setting, albeit without the kick. The upshifts still feel very "automatic"-ish. The G8X is simply a different experience, with more of a dual purpose nature. It can be a regular car when you need it to be, like a baby-M5...then it can be a big M2 when in "all hell breaks loose" mode.

Sure, most of us will miss the DCT, but the overall quality of the G82 experience will far make up for the lack of a DCT. And I understand you can flash the ZF* to make it shift just as hard as the DCT, so that may end up being the best of both worlds.

And of course if you really want the rawest driving experience, just get the manual.
Not happening. Since you mention daily driving, I absolutely hate pressing down on the brake pedal against the car trying to lurch out (AT) vs. DCT which does not engage clutch before throttle is tapped. DCT is the only "automated" transmission I have and everything else is manual in my garage.
And I hate slushbox engaging so slow in between gears, I always have to wait for them vs. DCT that is seamlessly instant. For track use, there is no comparison.

Regarding xHP flash, whatever you do to replicate "hard shifts" with ZF they are just slower than DCT and jerkier.
ZF8 fast shifts at 3/3 (<->F80 DCT at 1/3) with jerky shifts
DCT fast shifts = seamless and engaging(double clutch inertia shove in the back) when you want it
ZF8 slow shifts = cancer inducing
DCT slow shifts = feel the clutches disengaging like a manual