View Single Post
      10-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
moss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

New M3 review - From RS4 Owner

Had my drive in (but not of) the new M3 ot the weekend.

Not much time today to give my views, but in essence:

Pros:

1. Looked nice and smart - not too OTT, but just sporty enough to be able to live with without getting too much attention.
2. Engine - the undoubted star of the car. I found that the engine contradicted much of what I had read. My everyday car is an RS4 - to me the M3 engine was louder, with a harder edge soundtrack and felt stronger and quicker than my RS4.

Cons:

1. Interior - To me, the interior was very plain and ordinary - not enough to stop me from buying the car - but none the less a disappointment - in fact it felt virtually no different to a base M Sport model.
2. The power bulge, just too large and cartoon like - my only dislike of the exterior.

Overall - is it better than my RS4 - no. Is the RS4 better than the M3 - no.

Actually they are both great cars doing the same thing in a slightly different way. The M3 may be slightly more entertaining to drive in good conditions, and the RS4 probably slightly easier to use day to day.

Certainly after the drive, the M3 will very definitely remain on my list of next cars - if the dual gearbox is good, then it will likely be my next car.

What is worrying in the UK though was that I was offered two speccable cars for delivery before Christmas. The last M3 was virtually unobtainable in the UK for 18 months after launch - now this new model's wait is similar to ordering a base 3 series coupe or indeed a VW golf! This can not be good for residuals!
Appreciate 0