Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
I'm guessing you dont have before and after dyno #'s?
I will, the week after next. I'm going to the dyno next week, but I've got 100-octane in the car for the run I've scheduled for next Tuesday. I'll need to run that out and go back again with 91-octane to get an accurate read on the ECU. I've got baseline runs in stock and with throttle bodies with AA Signature exhaust. I'll add runs with the ECU after the 100-otctane run.

My butt dyno says, not much change from the ECU. By itself, this mod makes no sense, IMHO. I've got the 4.10 final drive and throttle bodies and hope that this'll at least give me more useable rpm in first and second gear, which will be real useful in autocross. As a street mod, I think it's close to worthless. Driveability is very close to the same. I always have my Power setting on, so I can't comment on the non-power response. It runs a slight bit more ragged when cold with slightly increased tendency to buck when you get below 1,000 rpm. (This is a very, very small negative and it's only negative in comparison to the stock ECU's impeccable behaviour down to 500 rpm, which is almost unbelievable for an engine with this performance).

The throttle bodies only gave 4+ hp, so I put them pretty much in the same category. If I could get a custom tune near Denver, I'd go for it.

I did the ECU merely to get the extra rpm, which I DO plan to use at AX events.

If you're going to do the Dinan mods, here's the priority I'd go, now that I've lived with all these:
  • Final drive
  • Spring set
  • ECU
  • Throttle bodies

The final drive is what it is, a simple, 100% mechanical change that works as expected. The Dinan springs set is really excellent and works perfectly with the EDC to give the car incredible handling. I consider it an order of excellence ahead of the stock set up with almost no sacrifice in ride.

The ECU only makes sense if you need the rpm. The throttle bodies are still waiting on a proper ECU to take full advantage of them. (Dinan says 4 hp is "acceptable", but I'd expect cosiderably more, given the 8% increase in size. Notice that they publish any expected gains on their site). I'd pay big for the software to dyno-tune my car, with my mods at my altitude. I think there's at least another 30-hp bottled up in there.

Dave