07-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #10
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3s65 View Post
I started the car one day after some high RPM driving at the tail of the dragon and I heard what sounded like very slight rod knock. So, I did an oil change and found glitter and lots of metal in oil filter. After that I pulled the oil pan and rod bearings and found the rod bearing on cylinder 1 was damaged and looks like it may have spun. I replaced the damaged rod bearing with one of my original rod bearings that was pulled when BE bearings were installed. Couple days later i drove to the dealership. Dealership confirmed spun rod bearing and recommended replacement. I had them install refurb engine and they gave me back my old engine. It is all documented here https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747467
Based on this description, almost sure you spun the main bearing. A spun main bearing can destroy the downstream rod bearings, but not visa-versa. When you replaced the #1 rod bearing and it was damaged a second time, that's a pretty clear sign that the main bearing caused the damage to the rod bearings.
Appreciate 4