View Single Post
      12-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Need to figure out how bad my bearings are

I've been waiting since summer in an effort to put off the inevitable. I'm not really dying to hear opinions since I'm assuming that they'll be bad news, but I need them. I'll start off this thread by saying that I'm an idiot. I reset my oil life monitor when I started getting warned that I was close or over (I forget which one) and forgot to actually do the oil change when the warning went away - genius, I know.

After hearing what sounded like rod knock, I decided to stop being stupid (too late) and changed my oil. The sound went away, but came back after about 150 miles. I parked it and because I travel weekly for work, I haven't used it since summer.

I went out today and hooked up my GoPro to the engine and started it. You'll hear the startup sound in the video below at around 15 seconds. If you move to 4:40 (while wondering why in the world I'd keep it going for this long), you'll hear a small rev up to 2.5-3k where the knocking comes back. It's fine at idle, but every few seconds you hear a small click.

One thing to note is that I also had 271A for VANOS control, intake bank 1. Not sure if this is of any help.

I've done some research on here and other places, but I wanted to have an individual thread for my own issue.

My questions are as follows:

-Have a potentially spun a bearing? I'm assuming yes.

-What is the average amount of labor hours and what is BMW charging these days for labor on average?

-I know that it can't be determined exactly, but what are the odds that I've caused crank damage?

I appreciate any input here. I know that I'm incredibly dumb for this so I can appreciate anyone who wants to laugh at me, but please no insults if you wouldn't mindI don't have time to do a job like this myself anymore so my main concern is what am I going to have to pay roughly aside from parts which I already have an idea of. I've owned this car for a while. It's a 2008 with 162k which I could probably just trade in given that nobody in a dealership would even hear the sound in person, but I've developed a ridiculous sentimental attachment to it and would love to keep it if possible.

Appreciate 3