View Single Post
      04-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #86
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Why would coil bind occur with a spring that has sufficient travel? As long as the shock hits the bump stop prior to the spring bottoming out then there is not an issue. Am I missing something?

The standard KW spring is 90nm / 170mm length with 92mm of travel

The Eibach spring is 90nm / 140mm length spring with 87mm of travel

You think there will be coil bind in this situation? I can tell you from my experience there is none. Now if I increased my ride height to a point that my spring bottoms prior to the shock then it would happen. But my understanding is that I only lost 5mm of spring travel by making this swap. Travel that I wasn't going to use because I don't run the car at OEM ride height. I was at least 40mm lower than OEM.
The only way to be sure is to test and check. You may be okay with such a high rate spring. Springs should have enough rate to keep you off the bump stops as well. Hitting the bump stops constantly isn't ideal as spring rate goes to infinity and traction is lost at that corner.

You are giving the total stroke available. However, when installed and with the full weight of the vehicle on the springs, the stroke is much less than that.
Appreciate 0