View Single Post
      07-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #64
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Here's a picture of the body pin, one on each side, for the front sub-frame mounts.

The rears are now in, but I think the fronts are going to be challenging as there is very little lip and the bushings come all the way through the sub-frame.
I went to the grocery store with two bushings and a small cooler. I bought 10 pounds of dry ice ($1.69/pound) and in the store put the bushings with the dry ice in the cooler. Brought it home, put the whole cooler in the freezer and let it sit for 4 hours while I cleaned up the subframe.

So, the key issue with the bushings, as mentioned by others, is it's super key to get them square to the sub-frame before you try by whatever method to drive them in. What I found is that putting them in the sub-frame and then using a nylon covered dead blow hammer you can get them started easy. If they start tilting on you then hit the other side of the bushing to straighten it out. Was easy to get the bushings in perhaps 2" without much force at all and then they are nice and square and ready to go.

The bushing tool, on the rears works great. First you put the bolt through the inside of the cup and run the bushing in until it's about 80% in. Then you loosen it up and flip the cup around so that the bushing can be pulled into the cup for the final drive into place. The bushings must fit completely flat against the subframe, no gaps at all. On one side there was a loud pop and then it want into place. On the other side it went smoothly all the way in and was completely flat. Just be careful to not over-tighten the bolt or rod (I was using both) so that you don't strip or break the rod or bolt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0