View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #864
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I got my Pixel 3 XL today (which "officially" supports wireless android auto according to Google), did a fresh install of the latest Android 10 build.. paired it up to the BMW factory bluetooth and I can play bluetooth audio just fine. Set it up with the kremersino unit and paired it via android auto, but when I do this, I get no audio at all via bluetooth. Even if I manually switch the bluetooth audio output on the phone from carplay to the factory BMW system, I still get no audio output anywhere. If I disconnect the wifi connection from the phone to the kremersino unit (therefore disconnecting Android Auto), the bluetooth audio works again... it seems the kremersino unit wants to route audio via AUX and not bluetooth. If this is the case, I think this would be disappointing for android users.. 808M said the same thing above so perhaps this is just how it is.

Overall it seems android auto doesn't feel as "polished" as carplay does. The icons, layouts, etc just feel a bit sub-par and like a beta product at this point.. Not sure if this is android auto as a whole, or just the kremersino unit that's responsible for this, but the carplay interface is great (and just like the factory BMW carplay found in newer BMWs).
I agree on the level of polish not being up to the level of CarPlay.

The kremersino engineer told me to use the AUX connection for Android Auto. Not sure why it differs from CarPlay unless they are using a different chipset for the two services.

-Ken
Appreciate 0