View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #96
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Because -- assuming you have the proper attitude and mindset -- having (and parenting) kids is the most rewarding thing you'll ever do, bar none. Notice I said that you have to have the proper attitude and mindset, meaning you have to unequivocally want to have children and are willing to put in the commitment to raising them. You also have to prepare yourself for -- God forbid -- the possibility that your child might be handicapped (or become handicapped) and that you'll have to be his/her primary caregiver for the rest of your life.

Also notice that I said "rewarding". Parenting is not fun. It's not cheap. It's hard. There'll be blood, sweat and tears, and mental and physical reserves called upon that you never thought you had. And if you mess up, the downside risk could be catastrophic (think serial killer or Hitler). But in the moments when you've done it right, there is probably no greater joy (I'd say even more joy than doing a sub-8:00 at the 'Ring) than watching your kids grow up. And that joy is lifelong (whereas doing your fun activities will probably make you happy, what, a couple days, maybe a week, at most?).
Another thing that sucks is when good kids who respected their parents grow up and have bad kids who don't respect them.