Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ingraham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Ingraham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
This is a very fair price. These wheels go for $8k new. There is one new set hanging around in Black but otherwise not something BBS stocks.

If buyer wants to refinish - do NOT powder coat them. Paint the wheels. Also make sure heat is not used to remove the existing finish. The heat used in the PC process will weaken the forged AL.
Not to thread jack, how is the heat used to powder coat different from the heat subjected to the wheels when on the track? E.I. braking friction. Arguably, high temps.
The heat on track is nowhere near PC heat
Slicer,

While many here would agree you've done a lot for the community. Certainly, you've gained a lot of respect for your connection with BBS and other manufacturers. However, a lot of folks come here for facts and how-to's. Even more I think to make sure they don't screw something up.

Saying powder coating weakens the wheel, doesn't necessarily jive with why certain wheels are manufactured.

With disc temps approaching 1100C. Calipers 260C. Tire temps reaching 135C. I don't see how 400f. +/-50 to cure powder would weaken a wheel. Especially when IND, Auto Couture do custom colors on some projects.
BBS wheels and other high end wheels are tempered (aged) at 350F for 6-10 hours to maximize strength. If you subject the alloy to higher temperatures, the alloy will lose strength.
Appreciate 0