Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Err, Manganese & Magnesium are 2 different metals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter.M3 View Post
I am going to go out on a limb.. i think these S65 motors need their oil changed often. Like 3-6k miles and I bet that most people who have had rod bearing issues do not do that. Here you are with an 08 supercharged m3 108k miles and here I am with 2 m3's and used to have an 09 and we never have had rod bearing issues. KNOCK ON WOOD. So here are 4 m3's without issues. One thing i did is change my oil every 3k miles. Yes i know I am a nutjob but hey I have not had any rod bearing issues... yet. Lol probably will today though.. LOL

What's the deal tho right??
Just FYI, low OCIs don't stop bearings coming out looking excessively worn.
Look through all the photos in the rod bearing condition thread,, they include a few who have used 0w-40 over several 10s of thousands of miles.

Oh btw, yea they don't all have rod bearing problems, but then again with most M3s we just don't know, but for those people who do pull the bearings out (see thread linked above again), the vast majority (maybe over 90%) come out looking excessively worn. But, don't take my word for it, check out Clevite & King racing's papers (pdfs) on bearing wear & causes (they have photos).

And where are the photos of your M3s?
Appreciate 3