View Single Post
      05-27-2019, 03:22 AM   #137
Katalepsis74
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (White w/Red)

Clarity

It's a daily driver for us/her and also our road trip car, other than camping trips or when towing boat, ATV and/or motorcycles (my 4Runner has 250k miles, although it's in excellent mechanical and cosmetic conditions). It will do track duty at VIR roughly 2-3 times a year during which it will operate with more appropriate engine oil, brakes, and tires. Other than that, I will run 5W40 or at most 5W50 to address the virginic rod bearing journal clearances. I'm still deciding on DD oil choice since it's already +90F here every single day for as far as Google will forecast. On that note, we're probably all going to die someday relatively soon, but I digress.

Combining that approach with prudence in non-track driving conditions should give the rod bearings their best shot at longevity (cold starts, thoughtful operation until reaching target operating temperatures, etc). Getting the BE bearings that retain the copper, tin and lead formula is also in the cards when mileage + intuition dictate, assuming oil change samples don't raise a flag first. The choice for replacement parts is based on the "improved" OEM coated revisions being far too hard which can actually exacerbate the frighteningly-tight clearance gaffe.

I also forgot to comment on my intentions for at-home oil changes, which will be at 3500 to 5000 mile intervals even under mundane driving conditions. IMHO blowing money on engine oil is still dramatically cheaper than blowing money on engine...replacements....even if the general odds are in our favor both naturally speaking and through careful and informed operation.

As for the added heft in convertible trim *sigh* these are the types of compromises I felt I had to make in order to meet her wish for a convertible (although she's a burgeoning enthusiast and would have consented to the coupe, even sans hole in the roof for further weight loss). My first BMW was a used 2009 Z4 anyway and I confess there's hardly a better driving experience than being topless, both for the car and any attractive ladies inside...bazinga!

Last edited by Katalepsis74; 05-28-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0