View Single Post
      05-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #135
Katalepsis74
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (White w/Red)

Wink Buying an E93 M3 Next Month (Rod Bearing Diligence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Schrodinger's Rod Bearings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Schrodinger's Rod Bearings...
What he said. Anyway, I'm new to the forums as my fiance and I prepare to take delivery of a 2011 M3 convertible with DCT and 72k miles from CarMax (Alpine White and Fox Red). I'm versed on the rod bearing and throttle assembly issues and plan to not only get the extended warranty through 125k miles, but also extensive forensics on the vehicle's service history to see if the rod bearings have already been replaced.

I also aim to learn more about each owner, hoping each was a pedestrian convertible type as opposed to hooning track rats. On that note, I plan to use the car only 2-3 times a year for VIR track days where I'll do the very same starting later this year atop the cheapest-but-sound S1000RR I can find. Even so, I will be diligent and thoughtful about dedicated oils and oil operating temperature practices between track use and daily driving. For the former I will likely comply with BMW and run 10W60 but for the latter, it will be 10W50 or even 10W40 instead. For DD she will effeminately motor it ~10 miles each way, each day, to and from work. I myself am fortunate enough to work from home, plus I have a '93 K75 at my disposal as well as my beloved 2001 4Runner in SR5 trim.

Last edited by Katalepsis74; 05-26-2019 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0