Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
Is the ssd drive a higher capacity drive than the oem one? If that's the case, I would be willing to bet that that's the culprit for increased battery discharge as higher capacity drives require more power and the oem system wasn't designed to accommodate higher capacity drives.
Respectfully, that's not even close to accurate. The primary thing that would cause one disk to use more power than another is different rotational speed of the platters. 7200RPM vs 5400RPM for example. Capacity has basically nothing to do with it. Think about it. A 120MB HDD from the early 90s vs a 8TB HDD from 2021? Is there a dramatic power difference? No.

SSDs in general use less power in part because they don't have any moving parts. Don't have to waste power on a motor or moving heads around.

The reality of my situation is I am using a IDE to msata adapter for my SSD, which is obviously msata. Something about the combo of parts might be screwing up sleep mode.

I'm trying to get ista D so I can take a closer look.
I understand your point about spinning up and spinning down platters in HDD and it makes sense but the devil is in the details. There are plenty of discussions online regarding ssd vs hdd power draw and how ssds actually draw slightly higher power during startup and certain read/write operations based on size (manufacturer and model also plays a role here) but I don't want to derail this thread by going down that rabbit hole here.

My main point is that the e9x platform and its electronics are now over a decade old, which might as well be equivalent to dinosaurs roaming the earth in terms of technology. When you upgrade a component on a pc, the OS—and to some degree hardware—are designed for component upgrades/changes in mind. The OS/hardware vendors provide drivers/updates. What you are doing is an upgrade to a component for which the manufacturer never considered anyone doing and configured the proprietary software for specific tolerances based on the components of that time. Unless there is a way to modify these tolerances, I am not sure if this will be a straightforward plug and play upgrade.

I am in no way discouraging this effort rather would like to see it succeed. So, good luck and mod on
Appreciate 0