Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edberto View Post
First of all:
Thanks for the amazing and detailed DIY and all the valuable information in the additional comments

Since I was about to have a whole week off due to Corona, I decided to them on my own (even though no lift is available).
Using the jack stand approach with the lowered frame is a huge PIA and everything hurst still! Would I have to do it a second time, I guess I would rather remove the whole frame to have more clearance...

Started Saturday and Sunday morning I had the oil pan off and access to the bolts and bearings.
Without paying much attention I tried the 12mm 12-point socket I borrowed from a friend and noticed it is too big while the 3/8th was too small and started wondering...
... thats were I had the first positive surprise ever with the car and its maintenance history: There were ARP625+ bolts already installed (and they have a 7/16th head).
That's were I started hoping that someone already covered the bearings (my car has 130.xxx miles already).
To be on the safe side I removed bolts and cap of cylinder 8 and took a look at the bearing and it still looks like new AND it is a BE bearing
So I decided to do nothing, placed the bearing back into the cap, installed the cap, bolted the ARP625+ bolts with 60FtLb and can continue my journey with a clear concious now
So the whole effort was not a waste of time at all since the oil pan gasket was leaking like a pro and had to be replaced anyway...

While I was anyway down there I also covered:
- Transmission mounts
- Engine mounts (even though they still look good and have been replced already)
- O2 sensors pre cat
- Transmission fluid change (incl. new filter)
- Diff fluid change
- Coolant flush (because I broke the connecting pin towards the reservoir when removing the fan )
- Replaced the leaky power steering reservoir incl. fluid change

If someone is interested: I have a full Rod Bearing Service set with BE bearings, ARP2000 bolts, Assembly lube ... left that I was waiting fro several months
What a nice surprice mate! Strange that the guy who sold it didn't think it was worth to mention, so you no idea how many miles on that shell then?

Last edited by Helmsman; 04-06-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0