Edberto
#BorstenBartRacing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Garage List
Smile Sometimes there are positive surprises as well

First of all:
Thanks for the amazing and detailed DIY and all the valuable information in the additional comments

Since I was about to have a whole week off due to Corona, I decided to them on my own (even though no lift is available).
Using the jack stand approach with the lowered frame is a huge PIA and everything hurst still! Would I have to do it a second time, I guess I would rather remove the whole frame to have more clearance...

Started Saturday and Sunday morning I had the oil pan off and access to the bolts and bearings.
Without paying much attention I tried the 12mm 12-point socket I borrowed from a friend and noticed it is too big while the 3/8th was too small and started wondering...
... thats were I had the first positive surprise ever with the car and its maintenance history: There were ARP625+ bolts already installed (and they have a 7/16th head).
That's were I started hoping that someone already covered the bearings (my car has 130.xxx miles already).
To be on the safe side I removed bolts and cap of cylinder 8 and took a look at the bearing and it still looks like new AND it is a BE bearing
So I decided to do nothing, placed the bearing back into the cap, installed the cap, bolted the ARP625+ bolts with 60FtLb and can continue my journey with a clear concious now
So the whole effort was not a waste of time at all since the oil pan gasket was leaking like a pro and had to be replaced anyway...

While I was anyway down there I also covered:
- Transmission mounts
- Engine mounts (even though they still look good and have been replced already)
- O2 sensors pre cat
- Transmission fluid change (incl. new filter)
- Diff fluid change
- Coolant flush (because I broke the connecting pin towards the reservoir when removing the fan )
- Replaced the leaky power steering reservoir incl. fluid change

If someone is interested: I have a full Rod Bearing Service set with BE bearings, ARP2000 bolts, Assembly lube ... left that I was waiting fro several months
Attached Images

Scharbag2620.50
R-3551.00