View Single Post
      01-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
///MPower15
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Angel Eye Review: Lux 160 vs. DTEC V12

Hey guys,

Like many of you, I wanted to get rid of the yellow angel eyes for something white. I really didn't know what to get since the price ranges for them from $20 (ebay) to $200 (Lux) and I feel like $200 for bulbs is pretty ridiculous.

I tried two different ebay bulbs. One was $40 and the other $65. Honestly, the $40 bulbs were great and very bright, but they did not light up the outside ring that well in the daytime. Becuase of this I continued my search for a different setup.

Next I tried out the DTEC V12s because I got them for lower than the $210 list price. I was hesitant about buying them because I felt I should have just gone with the Lux at that price range, but I decided to give them a try.

Within a few days of me receiving the DTEC in the mail, a local member was selling his extremely lightly used Lux 160s. I decided to pick those up too so I can put the two supposed best angel eyes against each other and see which one was better.

So I put one of each bulb into my car and compared them.

Here are my thoughts on each bulb:

1) DTEC are much whiter. They make the Lux look like they have a very slight yellowish tint, which they don't at all if you just look at the Lux. This is probably because the DTEC are 6500k and Lux are 7000k.

2) DTEC are much brighter for the inner ring. They are so bright that they make the inner ring thicker. Both bulbs have the same brightness for the outside ring, but the brightness of the inner ring on the DTEC makes the outer ring look a little dull in comparison.

3) The Lux are much more uniform. Both rings for the Lux look closer to the same brightness, even though the inside is still slightly brighter.

So overall my conclusions are the DTEC are brighter (inner ring only) and whiter, while the Lux have a more uniform brightness for both rings. I'm not exactly happy with either bulb, with both the outside ring just looks like it's not even on at some angles.

I still haven't decided on which one I'm keeping. One of them is going to go for sale soon, so if your interested message me!

Here are the pictures, shot on a cloudy/rainy day. DTEC are on the left (passenger side) and Lux on the right (driver side).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2