View Single Post
      08-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #37
m3 bud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's just as clean man, as all leather boots fold inward at the top. Mine looks like it came from the factory, and I butchered it too . But I took the time to make a 'neck' the size of the knob's base, and make 2 notches to bury the zipties' heads installed backwards so the 'neck' is smooth all around .

The bottom line is you have to pay almost the same amount of money to go back to stock sooner or later, since LeatherZ's boot costs almost as much as the whole stock knob/boot assembly from Tischer. So better later folks, since most likely you'd never go back to stock . Plus I doubt LeatherZ's boot is as nice as stock, which matches the car perfectly. Just saying.
Thanks for the DIY!

Removed the shift knob and boot and currently deciding if I want to cut my original boot or order one from LeatherZ. I have the performance alcantara knob on with no boot and it feels so much better when shifting.

elp_jc -- I have the same concern as you on the size of the boot neck when it's zip tied, doesn't look as oem. When you say you made "2 notches" did you mean if you folded the neck of the boot twice to make it thicker around the shaft? (hope that makes sense)

Do you have a picture of your install? If that works, I'll prob cut my original boot tomorrow to save some $$. Thanks.
Appreciate 0