View Single Post
      04-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #20
JohnBucurE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDbilly View Post
I think you are well on your way to being successful by networking via this forum. Some of this list will be redundant with many previously, but after working with the local University and their Graduate students on "where to go after graduation", I got to hear a lot of questions and profound responses from other very successful women/men:

Me: 10 years in engineering and then 30 years in business/technology consulting to small to large companies on optimizing people, process & technology to make things faster, smarter, better, cost effective, competitive, etc,.

Advice:
- be flexible; it isn't about one direction but how you weave together all your experiences and skills to apply towards your evolving passion
- listen 80% of time; talk 20% of the time; resist the temptation to be an "expert"; there is always things to learn and contribute to your personal growth
- don't sacrifice on your convictions; it will be hard not to make sacrifices of your deep seated values and morals; but, stand behind what you believe in even if it means passing on a opportunity
- believe in yourself
- balance between the 3 corners of a triangle: one corner=self/spirituality/health; one corner=family, friends; last corner=career; think of a dot in the middle and balance there; sometimes each corner may need focused attention but drive back to the middle
- network, network, network just as you are doing here

Sustainability Ideas:
- consider going to work for a large consultancy; you get a chance to learn about many different companies, processes and people
- data, data, data; that is, how can the information each company collects, be better leveraged to make improved decisions; refer to data analytics, AI, ML and the growing trend towards optimizing cloud technologies
- volunteer on the side to groups that interest you in the specifics of your passion

Good luck; I'll connect with you in Linkedin.
This is great advice. Interesting how you weaved your business side and technical side together to get what's needed done. I have seen this as a growing trend too, and feel like I have a similar interest and background to do the same. I feel like a lot of fellas on this forum also come from a technical/ software/ engineering background for expertise as well! Super cool and encouraging.
Appreciate 0