Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
What are some good online resources for the beginning videographer, that has the cameras, but only stills experience?

I have ab5D MkII, a 7D and some really decent lenses, but I've only done a few minutes of video. I spend so much time on my stills that I know that I'll have to carve out video time to get any good at it.

Dave
Dave,

Use your existing knowledge of photography to compose your shots! A lot of what you already know for your stills will transfer over to video. Watch videos (good videos), pay attention to details and techniques (smooth pans, transitions, music synchronization, etc), and try to pick out what looks good and what doesn't. Compile all the knowledge and try to implement it in your own shoots. Soon enough you'll find your own groove.

A lot of great videos are featured on the Vimeo home page -- www.vimeo.com

As for getting started, help can be sought from various tutorials found through Google or YouTube. For example, you could use Google to search "how to convert DSLR footage for editing," and you'll turn up some sites that'll teach you how to convert your camera footage into an editable format (e.g. using Apple Compressor to convert footage into Apple ProRes format to be edited in Final Cut). You can then use YouTube and find videos for "Final Cut basics," which will have useful tips to get you working your way around the software.

I've heard that www.nofilmschool.com is a useful resource, but I've never actually browsed the site.

There's also www.cheesycam.com which is a site that finds alternative/cheaper solutions for expensive film equipment.

Many effect tutorials can be found on YouTube.

Also, I have a 5D2 and 7D, too. Though the footage is comparable in terms of quality, I'm sure you already know that colors vary from cam to cam. I've found that it's difficult to get the two to match colors perfectly, but I've gotten them close by using WB shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
Ive been through school and have shot many things. I dont have my own camera though. No need to be arrogant about anything man.
I'm over it. Truce?
Appreciate 0