12-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
How is it retarded to make more power with less weight. LS1's are very reliable. I've got an e46 M3 and it's impossible to make more power unless you spend a couple thousand dollars with a turbo or supercharger. I did a reflash with headers & no cats and the car didn't feel any faster.

I'm always amazed at the bias on forums. I can tell you the supposed s54 is no great engine. Wow, a cast iron straight six. oh my god did it come from the future. I know the response is going to be it can rev to 8000rpms. Why were these engines self destructing in the M3 but not in M coupe. It was due to the Mcoupes lower red line. You can take almost any production engine run it to 8000 rpms periodically.

I worked for Toyota as a factory rep. People would overrev the motors on the Celica GTS's. The ECU would record the engine speed at the time of the overrev. Some engines would hold together all the way to 12,500rpms.

My point is let's keep some perspective.
My point is that if I wanted a Corvette, I would buy one. Why buy a BMW and stuff a Corvette engine in it? BMWs are not about straight line speed or displacement. They are about balance. This video to me is way over the top and unnecessary. I think the other links someone posted to a civic with a Vette engine and a VW bus with a 911 engine/drivetrain were much cooler in concept (even though still a bit too much work for what you get in the end).

All in all, to each his own. I don't mean to sound judgemental. Cool someone can pull it off.
Appreciate 0