View Single Post
      11-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #150
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think BMW recommends SAF-XJ+FM (friction modifier) instead of just plain XJ diff fluid. The FM helps quiet the LSD on low speed turns like when parking the car.

bmw p/n 83 22 2 282 583 SAE 75W-140 SAF-XJ + FM BOOSTER
I think when you order this you get three 0.5L bottles. ?

Also since you never heard this sound before your 1,200 mile service... maybe the diff oil is under filled. I think you should first check your dff fluid level. Then maybe switch over to the +FM fluid.

Dack
Yes that noise did not exist before the 1200 service.
Can one check the diff fluid level electronically or is there a visual level indicator ?
Yes from the work order I can see they used 3 bottles (3.000 PC) so how could they underfill it ? (This forum DIY sticky on replacing the diff fluid says it is thick and you have to press the bottle to get it out). Thanks for the pictures !
If the level is fine should i request a change to the + FM Booster version ? The sound is not loud but suspicious. I read the bulletin about diff grinding sound but that is not what I am hearing. I hear like a sound similar to a needle that is lightly bent on a another metal piece just when it slides off the edge and springs back straight (but louder than a normal needle). It would make that pinging sound 5 to 6 times during a very slow sharp turn.

Now get this, the 1200 service was done directly by BMWNA at the processing center (ED car). I got the work order and found they had missed the MT oil change so the dealer did it when the car got here. Quite disappointing from the VDC, if they cannot get this right then who can ?! I would probably never had known had i not insisted on getting the detailed work order to check it. Do we have to ship our cars back to Germany each time service is due to get it done right ?

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 11-01-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0