08-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #16
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedawg
i've had a couple experienced mechanics tell me 15k is too long,change it at least every 7500k miles.btw,the service manual also says change it at least once a year.bmw calls it a low mileage oil change.

mike miller,tech expert at roundel,says that when bmw started to pay for maintenance,all of a sudden the cars started needing less.my manual says coolant is lifetime fill.i believe this minimal cbs maintenance schedule is a disservice to owners who want to keep their cars in good shape,and keep them a long time.i say this because i think it creates a feeling among less knowledgeable owners that they are doing the right thing regarding maintenance,when in my opinion it's the absolute minimum.i bought my car with 35k miles on it ,and hope to keep it a long time,and one of the major things i looked for was extra oil changes.

an s65 engine costs over $35k to replace.the redline is 8400 rpm.it's an expensive oil change,but cheap insurance.
BMW paying for maintenance might seem to be a reason for them to lengthen the service interval, but the intervals are similar for other European performance makers that recommend synthetic exclusively but don't pay for maintenance, and therefore have no incentive to stretch intervals out.

Questioning the extended interval was a frequent topic on Merc boards and especially so on Porsche boards for the 2005-07 models when owners were questioning the 20,000 mile interval that was recommended. But the 997/987 have been relatively trouble-free and around a good bit longer than the e9x so it has not seemed to hurt reliability. That said, it is interesting that Porsche went back down to 12000 mile intervals and then 10,000 in subsequent years on refreshed models.
Appreciate 0