09-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
i think the rear size is too wide. stock with a 1" difference in wheel width the car tends to understeer quite a bit. i think running 10's all around would work better especially since you will be auto crossing the car. second, you need to get a pyrometer to verify this but I'm guessing you will have trouble getting the rear tire to heat up at the same rate as the front. I like RA1's because they last longer than the R888's but unshaved versus unshaved the R888's are faster. autox especially in ASP class you should be running one of two tires, V710 or Hoosier A6.

you say it clears without rubbing but it looks like you are on stock suspension. i think if you do change the suspension you will get some issues on the back especially if you are on a track with a big compression.

it does look good on the car though. 305/18 is very popular for GT3 rear size so they are usually hard to come by.
Karussell, I do know what you are talking about and thought about most of these issues before ordering them. This setup's main purpose is track stability, with autocross coming in second. I am using auto-X as my practice to get used to this exact setup. Ideally I would have gotten another set of 18x10 wheels to run square for autoX (and gone to STU) and keep the 18x11 for trackdays.

In regards to "too much in the rear" I know so many people that run TE-37s w/ 18x10.5 with 285 or 295 tires, I just wanted that little bit more to max out everything. I don't feel that 0.5 of an inch will degrade handling. I will mainly be running this car at Laguna Seca with Infineon coming in a distant second. When going with this setup I was thinking specifically about turn 9 at Laguna Seca and a little about turn 12; if you have driven the course, I think you will know what I mean. And obviously you can also dial out oversteer with a little trottle modulation (I run with "power" fully off) I would just prefer to have both; more traction and being careful on the throttle.

Do you agree somewhat?

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0