View Single Post
      07-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #21
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I can provide fair and candid input as I've owned E46 M3s for 12 years, an F80ZCP for 1 year and an E90M for 8 months. All used on the same roads, same city, same weather conditions.

From a purely throttle response perspective, the S65 might be the best of the bunch. However, once you throw actual power output relative to throttle angle into the mix, it's actually the worst in many situations.

Hear me out.

The (stock) midrange of the S65 (4-6k) is very soft and so while the motor is responsive, there is almost no difference between 1/4 throttle and full throttle in that range under load - the motor quickly maxes out. The S54, on the other hand, has a much fatter midrange and thus is more responsive once on the the throttle. The S55 is by far the most responsive in all part throttle situations as there is SO much power and yet it's so masterfully calibrated that every millimeter of additional throttle results in a very acute, equal and measured additional amount of power. Virtually anywhere on the tach, if you go from 1/4 throttle to full throttle the motor EXPLODED with power.

Now - the S55 can be a little laggy below 3k and in snap-WOT situations and thus can give a slightly disconnected feel at times. The S54 is the most linear - it has zero valleys or peaks in its output - it's just a consistent rise from 2k to 7, and then flattens to 8k. The S65 is paradoxical in that it's the most linear and yet most peaky with its MONSTER top end rush - nothing can touch it up top from a thrill/response/fun standpoint, but, combined with its lull-ish midrange and heavy chassis, can feel a little sluggish below 6k at times.

And so, they are all killer, KILLER motors that must be driven differently to maximize. They all satisfy in equal but different ways.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4

Last edited by EricSMG; 07-18-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00