View Single Post
      08-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #54
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

What can I say that's not already said? M5 size/performance for M3 money. This is a victory for Cadillac, for two important reasons.

1) The M5 has been in production for 20 over years, and always has been the standard bearer. For ANY company to produce a car with equal performance AND for LESS money with only their SECOND attempt is something to behold.

2) The CTS-V winning despite the BMW's SMG (which is most at home on the track) and lighter weight.

Of course, great competition breeds great automobiles. I expect the next M5 to raise the bar higher. Time never stands still. However, I think the CTS-V has such a good base with the new CTS structure that I can see them staying competitive for years to come.

With that said, I'm tired of the same 'ol GM bashing, like questioning its reliability. Listen, I would GLADLY compare Cadillac's reliability history with BMW's any day of the week. As for the CTS-V's, fit and finish, it's actually been the new CTS's strengths. Take a look at the comparison tests, like the one at Car and Driver. The 328i won, but this is what they said about the CTS' interior and overall quality:

"A high-speed cruise down the interstate gave us some time to appreciate the CTS’s great on-center steering and well-executed cabin. Even when trimmed in vinyl, the CTS’s cabin looks terrific—this synthetic stuff looks better than GM leather of the recent past. High-quality plastics, bespoke switchgear, and a dashboard covered in carefully stitched vinyl look as if they were lifted from a much more expensive sedan."

... and that's just the normal CTS's interior. I expect the CTS-V to be even better.

All in all, fun comparison!
Appreciate 0