View Single Post
      10-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #47
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Very sad to such madness going on in the world currently. It just takes one. I hope everyone is able to find their loved ones in that chaos.

The thing that surprises me is that a lot of people talk about gun control but no one has said anything about mental health? Like other said, people that have the intent to kill will find a weapon either legal or illegally.
Even as hailing from the country with strict gun control, I'm not sure that's the answer for these types of situations. Whether ISIS related or not, as the world has seen, a great number of other things can be turned into weapons. And as others have pointed out, criminals are not going to obey the law anyways.

So your point about mental health is a decent one - but how do you assess it? Can't screen for it. Not an obvious illness either...at least not till something happens in most cases I'd say. Yes, they might start to get reclusive, but that doesn't mean they will go on a rampage one day either. So while this could be good at stopping future crimes, it is probably extremely difficult if not impossible to implement.

So is there really anything that can be done? Let's assume this was terrorism for a moment, or think back to known terror attacks. Killing the perps just makes them heroes back home and inspires more sickos to do the same when they see all the praise and attention and since they have a meaningless life as it is, they sign up too.

Process them through the current judicial system? Well, maybe they get a payout like Omar Khadr. That wasn't cool. So that's not a great option...life isn't peachy behind bars, but I somehow don't see it as being enough of a punishment for this type of crime.

So then what?

Torturing them - well that's an interesting idea quite frankly. Torture without killing, let them rot, no easy way out, just every week some new pain. But it would have to be public, so that the message gets back, this is what will happen. But being the civilized people we are, we won't do that. And would likely inspire a few more people who are family of that person to do the same out of rage, until the message gets clearly sent and it dies down a little. Message being, you commit act of terrorism, the laws applying to civilians of our country will not apply to you - instead, this is what will happen. Combat terror with terror?

If not, what is the solution. Because I can't think of anything to stem what appears to be a growing amount of terrorist attacks - regardless of whether this was or was not terrorism.

I know madam Lups will disagree with me, but I just don't see a pacifist solution here.
Appreciate 0