03-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
My last post on the thread which definitely is in danger of derailing if I don't shut up:

Mastek - You sound like you spend some time at the track, but you're off on a couple facts.

Spec Miatas do not weigh under 2000lbs. They weigh, at minimum, 2285 with driver. I've been on track in a Spec Miata with T2 E46 M3's and know what they're capable of (4+ seconds a lap faster even at very tight, technical tracks). A modified E92 should be much quicker than a T2 M3. The T2 lap record there is 1:52.5 and that was back in 2006 with a car that is no longer competitive. Maybe nobody has tried yet, but a 1:47 doesn't seem out of the question to me knowing what other cars can run at that track (T1 equivalent). E92 M3 3800lbs? Maybe completely stock with driver and a full tank. My heavier E90 weighed 3666 without driver with a full tank of fuel, completely stock. A modified car should be well below that. A member here is at 3500lbs with driver after a few mods and a rear seat delete. I'm not saying that power is everything, but ask any racer how to go faster around a racetrack and horsepower (power/weight, really) is the first place to look. It doesn't need tuning, it usually doesn't add weight, it doesn't cause you to go slower in one corner than another, you just shorten the time spent between corners. Horsepower isn't everything, but it's a huge, huge part of any car's lap time.
Power to weight is one thing - carrying speed through corners can only be accomplished through LESS weight.
So a lighter car with the same power-to-weight ratio will get a better lap time then a heavier car with the same power-to-weight ratio.
Spec Miatas can be 2000 or 2300 lbs. It doesn't matter to my point... you can't compare this to a 3800 lbs car

A susepnsion modded e46m3 is faster around most any road course then a same suspension modded e9xm3 (except a 12 mile variable like the Nordschleife)

My OE e90m3 was at 3630 without fuel and driver = so that's OVER 3800 lbs. STOCK
I modded my car with what's in the sig down to 3450 and I can tell you that 200 lbs in this car, with this kind of inertia, on these road courses, makes only 1-2 seconds difference in lap times.
So I will repeat, NO ONE has done under 1.50 with an OE e9xm3 at Infineon/Sears Point with the full carousel. And no one will (unless they strip the car to a race car).

Since you have one - and you have w2w experience - what kind of lap times have you acieved with yur e9xm3?
Appreciate 0