View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #95
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I have never owned a manual car and now as tech got better, I find it less compelling to go backwards in development to a transmission I'm no better than average at operating. So DCT wins for me every time.
Interesting issue you raise, most people who know how to drive a manual still aren't very good at operating a manual transmission for purposes of extracting maximum performance from a car. How many threads are there all over the web of people running 1/4 mile times 1 second+ off the best time for the car in otherwise ideal conditions? There are of course some people who would choose DCT regardless of their skill with a manual, but generally I think that's true, and the DCT (and SMG before it) makes the M3's huge performance envelope much more accessible. The extra gear and faster shifts are a nice bonus which more than offset the ~45lb weight penalty in most situations, but not the primary reason most people choose it IMO.

If you really press them on it, (and I've asked a few) they'll tell you it allows them to focus on executing one less thing behind the wheel, which makes them feel faster and more in control, not less (contrary to the "MT allows more control" argument which is objectively true but that's theory and we live in reality) when driving quickly

Both great options, I chose the one I wanted but if the M3 was DCT only I'd be sad but it'd still be a great automobile

Now, why anyone would choose an E92 when the E90 was available I have no idea (kidding...)

Last edited by Richbot; 07-12-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0