04-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
also I am 100% with you that 90k for an M3/M4 brand new right now is ridiculous - but again, a lot of that inflation in price over time can be looked at from a standpoint of people are ready and willing to lease at very high payments because they don't have 2 pennies to rub together and they live their entire lives on pure cash flow. This is just how the system has manifested itself over time. It is what it is. That doesn't mean that leasing is a good idea, lol.

As an overall value proposition I think you can get a LOT more new car for 90k than what an M3/M4 gives you.

I did buy my M3 used, absolutely. I also own it outright, and honestly I could just write a check for a brand new M4 for 90k - I choose not to because while I have means and money, I'm not SO wealthy yet that I could justify the depreciation. But leasing? Lol, all day and I bet a lot of other people here could too. I could go out and lease a brand new 911 turbo today if I wanted to. Even a $3000 lease payment would not break me in the least. That is a literal fraction of what I make each month.

This is the problem - people in society today just assume that everyone always has to or is driving exactly the height of what their financial means would allow. That's a pretty broad assumption and I don't think it is very accurate.