View Single Post
      10-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #297
Ronnydashore
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Silverstone M3 DCT

Its not that the 0w40 can't handle 300 degrees, but rather will it hold the proper oil pressure for this car at those extreme heats. I have no doubt the oil will be fine, however our oil pressure given the tight bearings requires a pump to pump less than a normal car with larger clearences and yet I don't know the maximum our oil pump can go, however if 0w40 gets too thin, our pump may not be able to keep up and that is the problem, not the oil itself wearing down.

I agree however that although something is the perfect solution on "paper" it so often does not work for one reason or another as planned! I am sure any person in many fields have experienced this frustration, especially us scientists.

I believe a bit thinner is better for the reasons noted on bearings but at the end of the day, how can you be sure the TWS was not needed to provide protection to other parts of the engine aside from the bearings and if you started using 0w40 and the bearing issues stopped, a different problem would begin due to poor protection of another unknown part that bmw designed to have TWS.

I stick to my personal recommendation. Simply drive the car how it was meant to be driven and keep oil temps at 210 or higher on streets and track. Warm car up and keep under 3k rpms until almost to middle or so. Than drive hard and enjoy. This would allow the best chance of using TWS and not having issues.

Or just go with the 0w40 and be done with it
Appreciate 0