04-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #17
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieu1004 View Post
Haha, nice! I'm glad he wasn't a dbag about it. I had a newer modded STi and they are quick, but a stock M3 will definitely walk a stage 2 STi. The STi might pull ahead at the launch due to AWD, but an M3 will definitely reel it in and pass at the top end. (Assuming driver of equal skill, of course). A stage 2 STi does have the potential to run mid-high 12's in the hands of a good driver, but a lot of it has to do with the AWD and launch. It runs out of breath at the top end, but still very quick.
That, and you only have a limited number of such launches available before leaving some drivetrain components on the pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
not any modded car can be as fun as an STI for that cheap , I don't know what other cars you're talking about but in the STI price range , not a lot of car can make good use of that much power ! If you really wonder what's the point of having a 500hp STI for less then 30k , it's either you don't know the value of money or you simply don't like going fast !!
Cool. If you want to spend all your time in the garage fixing it (and really, 500hp for $30K all in, NO.) then it's a decent way to go. If you like driving, on the other hand.. Stage 1 and 2 are no problem in an STi. That's where the fun stops and the work starts though. Big builds are costly and tenuous and you sacrifice more than an acceptable amount of reliability from a street car when you get into Stage 3+. Just my 2c, I owned one. They aren't sporty. They are very capable, fast, AWD family cars.

My Stg2 STi was genuinely quick though, especially at my altitude. MAYBE quicker than the E92 M3 up in the mountains. But I wasn't delusional about what kind of car it was.

@OP awesome story