07-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
The Eurocars efficient dynamics system should make a difference, IIUC the USA spec cars don't have it. The system disconnects the alternator when the throttle is open and reconnects on closed throttle/braking, subject to the battery having sufficient charge. I guess the effect is something similar to the underdrive pully but more so. I've read it could be worth a significant number of BHP at high rpm WOT but can't find a source.
Those 'regional' differences have been accounted for in the R&D phase.

There is no difference in the HP or TRQ on these engines. There is no proof to back that up. The engineers spend a lot of time tuning these engines on the dyno, so they will put out the same power and torque no matter where the car is sold.

This why you can't use a Euro-spec tuned ECU on a U.S.-spec car. They are tuned slightly different to account for regional fuel octane variations, deleted or re-engineered performance parts, and any intake or exhaust modifications. By manipulating the VANOS camshaft spread angles, fueling, and spark, the engine can still yield the same maximum power and torque at a given rpm. Now that is easier said than done...

This kind of engine tuning takes hundreds of dyno sessions to properly dial in the powerband, and it costs BMW a fortune to pull this off. ($$$$$$$$$$)

I wish people would stop with all these conspiracy theories...