03-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
VrooM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It is oil only and it is very accurate.

The under tray aids in creating a low pressure zone behind the oil cooler where the outlet is. Air will flow around the cooler- rather than through it if the felt is gone, which decreases efficiency.
i see, well in that case the oil temp fluctuates anywhere between approx 95c and 105c (circa 200-220F) and i don't recall it fluctuating as high but i could be mistaking. also, this is in 10c weather, not exactly scorching hot ambient temps either.

i'll be replacing my front rotors soon so that will give me a chance to take another look at the undertray. thanks for the tips.

i just want to make sure this isn't an early sign of rod bearings going, anything else i can put up with and slowly figure out. how do you feel about replacing the rod bearings at my mileage? the car has been tracked some 7 or 8 times, oil changed regularly at around 10k km and i drive it hard but also warm her up properly etc and it's a daily driver but here in vancouver the winters aren't that cold, usually above freezing.
Appreciate 0