09-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #57
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
With respect to running thinner oil for the purpose of saving/reducing wear on the main and rod bearings, what will the result be with respect to the ring end gap and piston to cylinder wall tolerances? It looks like our oil pump is more than capable of maintaining oil pressure, enough for lubrication and vanos activation, so moving to a 40 weight oil may just be a matter of burning more oil, which I'd more than live with topping off now and then.

Thanks again for the info; I've barely had time to look at each post, which I'll do today sometime.
Ring end gap refers to the top and second ring, this has nothing to do with what oil you are running. The oil ring is for control of the oil wipe, engines are not designed around an oil. The lighter the oil rings the more power it will make at the trade off of increased oil consumption. Cylinder wall clearance is also not a factor in oil selection. I have a spek gauge in my car that can data output. This is the same gauge we race every weekend. I have been running the 0-40 for 2 oil changes now. I have no issues with oil pressure as I watched it like a hawk the first week I started running it. This is one area where bmw really hosed us in not having a dip stick. Not having one is the most rediculous thing ever in a car. I ran 4k miles on my last change and the oil sensor dropped from right at full to still above half way. This is supposed to be about .5 qt or so. So for me the oil consumption was no worse than it was with the tws, in fact is was actually a little better.