View Single Post
      04-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #37
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

The DCT in this model has a more maintenance friendly design with the external screw and bracket. What the shop told you is true for many DCT transmissions used by BMW as the mechatronics sleeve is normally locked in place by an internal connection and released from inside the DCT usually by removing the lower DCT pan, but for the E9X M3 it is not true. For this DCT it is held in place by the external screw shown in the photos above. This is a difficult DIY and you need very long arms to reach it if you don't remove the transmission or the engine to gain better access. I would maybe try to find a shop that is more knowledgeable about this job specifically for the E9X M3 so they give you an appropriate repair quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Talked to my local performance shop and they mentioned that you need to pull a release mechanism from inside the DCT itself (pull off lower oil pan) to release the mechatronics sealing sleeve. Has anyone heard about this process? They made it sound risky pulling the top sleeve out to replace the o-ring without using this release as it could damage the internal connections? I'm a pretty handy DIY but don't have a ton of time for an intense DIY. (I have a lift which helps).
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50