View Single Post
      11-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #24
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I did this job today and it was VERY difficult to get the new o-ring back on and I had the complete driveshaft, guibo and transmission mount all off.

My center support bearing was completely shot and torn about 80% of the way around so while everything was out I decided to change the o-ring.

I had all kinds of crap up there that came out when cleaning it but even with my head up in there I still couldn't actually see much of anything other than the bolt that holds everything together. Getting the old o-ring off was just a little difficult but not terrible but getting the new one on was extremely difficult. You can only have one hand in there, can't see anything and getting it over the little arm where the screw goes took a long time. The replacement gasket I got from the BMW dealer was not directional and there definitely was not a thicker or taller side - it was the same both ways so I hope it is in there correctly. It was also black where the one that came out was red. I had the transmission brace fully off and the transmission didn't tilt down much, if any, so maybe one of my supercharger parts was blocking/holding everything from tilting back - probably the hose from the intercooler part to the manifold. With the transmission out it would take 5 minutes and I would have been able to do the side cover gasket at the same time so that is what I would do if I had to do it again.

I am very good at working on cars and had it on a lift and every tool I could possibly need available and still had a tough time - this isn't for the faint of heart. The rest of the driveshaft, flexdisc, center bearing, etc. was pretty easy. I had planned on doing the bottom pan and fluid too but the o-ring took so long I didn't feel like doing any more so I put everything back together and will change the pan at a later date (that is much easier to get to - don't have to remove much at all).

Last edited by WayneM3; 11-08-2020 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50