11-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #42
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
I've said this a few times whenever the topic of speed comes up.

To me, the only thing the F8X has on the E9X is sheer speed.

But in 2019, speed is a commodity. The Tesla is blazing fast but it's a soulless appliance.

Being a passionate car enthusiast since I was a toddler, I'm not really concerned with what's better on paper when it comes to buying a car I'm more concerned with the experience and the feeling the car gives me. It's about the sound, feel, legacy (end of an era), community, etc. I genuinely feel the V8 M3 is something special and won't ever be replicated by BMW ever again and it's currently on the bottom of its depreciation curve (this is subjective but they can currently be had for the sum of their parts). This makes it easy to justify the purchase, at least in my eyes. I can enjoy it know it's not losing a ton of value.

If you're a music person this analogy might make sense- to me, the f8X is like listening to a Joe Satriani album on CD. The music is technical and precise, the format is convenient. But it doesn't really elicit much emotion. It's just good, but not memorable.

The e9x is like listening to Pink Floyd "Pulse" on vinyl. It's the last tour Roger Waters and David Gilmour did together, Dark Side of the Moon was played in its entirety, and the guitar solos will give you goosebumps. Despite it being live and recorded in the 90s, there's something warm and analogue about listening to one of the best live albums of all time on vinyl.

So it really depends... are you looking for what's good on paper? Or are you looking for a special and more unique ownership and driving experience?
The F8x is significantly better than the e9x in a lot more ways than just speed. However for $30k there isn't much that can compete with the e9x, and you are spot on about depreciation. The e9x is the price performance champ no question. However as soon as you hit $50k+ there are a number of more compelling options. I just picked up an M2C which has plenty of character and a certain 'specialness' all in a stiffer more capable chassis out of the box. Size wise this feels more like the natural successor to the E46/e9x generation than the F80, which feels more like an M5.

I think a lot of it comes down to affinity for V8's, I'm European so I don't really see what the fuss is about. I'd take a wailing flat 6 or screaming V10 over a cross plane V8 any day of the week, I digress..
Appreciate 0