View Single Post
      03-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #13
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
That's a great point, I have noticed that also.. I have been using the Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter mostly, which I wasn't expecting to be great, but it's insanely good streaming via Spotify. I'm sure some of it has to do with the overall build quality, but its Just so damn crisp and clear... but I've never dabbled in the settings, so curious if mine are neutral or able to be improved even more.
The hard thing to work with is that even when the slider says "0" on the EQ display, that doesn't mean zero according to the vehicle response, generally. All it means is that there is no boost/cut to that particular frequency. If you're not familiar with this stuff its very easy to make the sound worse before you make it better. You can't do it by listening to a recording and adjusting to it, unless you're very familiar with what that recording sounds like on a system thats been recurved to flatten the space it occupies.

The best way to do this is with an RTA (Real Time Analyzer) and sound check CD. At a minimum, a good one will have 30 tracks containing 1/3 octave tones running from 20Hz to 20Khz. That takes the intervals I described above and splits them into thirds. Each octave is double the one previous, and the first third will be +5hz and double at every octave above it. The second third will be +11.5Hz and double every octave after. That means your first 7 tracks will be thusly:

1. 20Hz
2. 25Hz
3. 31.5Hz
4. 40Hz (double track 1)
5. 50Hz
6. 63Hz
7. 80Hz (double track 4)

Your test CD should also have a reference tone meant to be played at a particular volume, increasing until you get a standard dB level. My CD has a 1kHz reference tone, which I believe has to be run at around 95dB. Its not comfortable and I wear ear protection.

When you have the volume on your BMW radio turned up to the reference level, change to your EQ screen, choose the lowest frequency on the EQ and pick the test tone on the CD that is closest to it. Then adjust the EQ up or down until you achieve the reference dB level on the RTA. Move on to the next one and continue till you're done.

Curving the car like this takes about 10-20 minutes, and its worth the time. Once you're done just adjust the bass and trouble per the source material as I said earlier.

Last edited by Freiheit; 03-11-2019 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881105.00
BOOF-M34451.50