Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Thats not what Areyou said. If you have a warranty intact then you are prohibited from changing out the bearings. Any "modifications" to the engine can void warranty. Can yo I do it anyway? Sure you can. But if you change the bearings out to let's say BE and those bearings blow. When insurance does an inspection and finds out that the Oem bearings are NOT in the car that could void the warranty. This is why M3 owners make a decision to either have the bearings done OR obtain a warranty.
Understood. I guess I hadn't considered you can't actually do the bearings with a warranty is it could affect your warranty. That makes sense.

And I realize, now, it's not a purposeful ignoring of the rod bearings with a "f*ck it" attitude about replacing the engine. It's a calculated risk, weighing the value of a warranty against the probability of a bearing taking a crap.

I'm so sick of talking about rod bearings, honestly. I've had this car for 10 days. I can't even imagine how the rest of you feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
And as UPSROD just said, $2,250 in the Tampa area where I am from for bearings.
I can confirm a Tampa Bay Area quote from a reputable shop, dated 10/5/2018 for $2,490 including new motor mounts. This includes OEM bearings, which the shop made a pretty legit case for.
Yes we are all tired of the bearings lol. But most of us understand when new members come on they want questions answered. And they should have that right. Some of the old timers will shake their heads but I never see anything wrong with the question coming up. There is a thread going right now based on do I get the bearings done or go with a warranty that will cover them.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50