03-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Great to know that Stillen is helping out, always good to have reputable service.

Is it possible to get some non-strap drive discs that can safely fit under the front calipers and then go for a test drive to truly rule out the AP strap drive discs as being the culprit?

Also, you could use other good quality fixed-floating brake disc (oem for example, you only need one disc) and then remeasure runout to make sure that the wheel bearing is not the one causing the problem.

Unless, you have tried the above already, and we can move on.

Another thing to do is to rule out rear chassis and propshaft vibration, which is done by raising the car securely (wheels completely off the ground) and running the car up to the speed that you get vibration. If you get vibration, then it isn't from the front chassis, or it could also mean that the front chassis isn't the only source of vibration.

I've done most of the work in regards to measurements, removal, testing, etc. and measured Hub Bearing face run-out and it was spot-on true on both bearings. I think there is another type of hub (hat) for the front discs and Stilen is looking at that too. Not tested yet on my vehicle. I'll have to do more work with them on that.

As for car up on jacks, wheels off and running up to 80mph without any road/load factor I don't have the means to do that. But I could have the rear end checked out. That thought did pass my mind. The only reason why I'm thinking that it has to do with the AP kit is because like I mentioned earlier, this vibration issue started the day I installed the kit and been the same pretty much with two different AP discs but I know this BBK is one of the best selling out there so I'm very puzzled, as are the guys helping me out from Stilen and AP. I've even tried swopping my front wheels with a 6 series and a co-workes '11 E92 M3 with ZCP 19" wheels. My wheels did not vibrate on the other car(s) and the vibration was the same on mine so I can pretty much rule out the front wheels at this point.
Appreciate 0