Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Correction to my initial post

I have made a correction to my original post...... it used to read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Mainly what affects the sound most about a Flat-Plane V8 is that each bank of cylinders are working like its own engine, or essentially like two four cylinder engines running simultaineously, hence the high pitched scream. This has to do with the fact that the firing order of the Flat-Plane V8 means that there are always two cylinders firing at the same time albiet one in each bank of cylinders. In a Cross-Plane V8 there is even spacing of the firing order of all 8 cylinders and never two cylinders firing at the same time therefore the lumpy tone that they have.
The corrected text is as follows:
Mainly what affects the sound most about a Flat-Plane V8 is that each bank of cylinders are working like its own engine, or essentially like two four cylinder engines running simultaineously, hence the high pitched scream. This has to do with the fact that the firing order of the Flat-Plane V8 means that every 90 degrees a cylinder is fired in an alternate bank (although some Flat-Plane V8's have been designed to fire two cylinders at once, this is highly uncommon in production engines) so the typical firing order in a Flat-Plane V8 looks like this: 1-5-3-7-4-8-2-6 (assuming the cylinder numbering proceedure that BMW uses of 1234 in bank one and 5678 in bank two) In a Cross-Plane V8 the crankshaft design necessitates that the firing order is somewhat uneven between the banks and not completely alternate. The Firing order for a typical American V8 would be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 while the firing order for the M3's S65 V8 is: 1-5-4-8-7-2-6-3. Although the S65 does not have a firing order that is conventional to older American V8's it is still not a totally even firing order between banks

I apologize for the mistake...... I originally posted this in the late night/early morning and was obviously not thinking 100% clearly.