sv Arcadian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
Question, when you move on to a boat as your primary residence can you pick any state to register the boat and your cars and to vote ect ect?
I live in NJ and income tax , insurance ect are killers, love to be a Delaware resident and park my boat here in jersey any thoughts on that?
Yes and no. My boat is big enough to be Federally registered with the Coast Guard. This exempts me from having to register it with the states. Florida, however, does make me pay a "use tax" of $4.95 per year to keep an antique boat in their waters. Other states vary. I only pay the fee as long as I am in Florida. I have a PO Box and mailing address in Florida. Florida has no state income tax. I send all my mail there and use it as the address on my license, etc. I do not pay income taxes since I am based in Florida but you need to have an address to establish residency. My cars and insurance go to the address. I vote in Florida as an absentee ballot. I will be spending the majority of the summer in Bahamas, South Carolina, and Virginia, but will still keep my Florida residency.
Hopefully that helps answer some questions.
Appreciate 2
eluded3032.00