02-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #904
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Michael had told me a couple months back that you can't return the v1 for v3, but they'll give a discount towards a v3. But I haven't followed up yet as the reports on v3 seem to indicate that switching back and forth is still not bug free. This has kept me from upgrading so far.
I've been using it for a while now... about 30% of the time, I get in the car and it just works. The rest of the time, I have to open up Settings / Bluetooth and connect to the carplay unit via my iPhone then swipe down and switch the iPhone audio output from carplay over to the BMW factory bluetooth. It will be nice when they work that out, but at this point it only takes a few seconds to workaround and I've become used to it.

Now the lack of audio switching with siri and reading back text messages etc is another issue. For now I just forget about even using those features.

I really just use Spotify and full-screen Waze, which are awesome.

The only other mild annoyance I've come across is that when you open the car door, it "wakes up" the carplay unit and tries to connect to your phone. I have a whole-home audio system (in ceiling speakers in most every room), and typically have music playing all day long (I work from home), so if I go out to the garage to grab something out of the car, often times it will connect my phone to the carplay unit which stops my whole-home audio stream "The music has stopped because this Spotify account is being used on another device". First world problem I know, and I guess I could use a second Spotify account but for now its nothing more than a mild annoyance. On the flip side, the fact that it wakes up when you open the car door can be a nice feature as carplay is up and running on the screen by the time I start the engine.
Appreciate 2